California State Sales Tax Requirements for Bullion & Collectibles Industry
The State of California requires the collection of use taxes on certain products sold by Gold Financial Group and delivered to a California address. These taxes must be collected on (1) nonmonetized bullion made from copper, platinum, or palladium; (2) monetized bullion, nonmonetized gold or silver bullion, or numismatic coins if the total amount of a single sales transaction is less than $2,000; (3) accessory items; and (4) processed items. All other products sold by Gold Financial Group are exempt from these taxes.
The following definitions apply to products on which taxes must be collected in California:
- Nonmonetized Bullion. Bullion which has been smelted or refined and has a value dependent primarily upon its precious metal content and not upon its form.
- Monetized Bullion. Coins or other forms of money manufactured of gold, silver, or other metal and heretofore, now, or hereafter used as a medium of exchange under the laws of California, the United States, or any foreign nation. The medium of exchange must have had a legal status equivalent to legal tender.
- Numismatic Coins. Coins which have an external value above and beyond the base value of the underlying precious metal, due to the item’s rarity, condition, age, or other external factor.
- Single Sales Transaction. Determined per invoice, and not on a line-item basis.
- Accessory Items. Items such as holders, tubes, coin flips, and apparel.
- Processed Items. Precious metals that have been processed by third parties into items that are valued on more than their precious metal content, such as statues or colorized coins.
Use taxes in California are calculated at checkout on the Gold Financial Group website based on (1) the taxability of products sold by Gold Financial Group in California set forth above, and (2) the specific tax rates established by the taxing jurisdiction of the delivery address in California.
PLEASE NOTE: THE ABOVE IS NOT A COMPREHENSIVE DESCRIPTION OF SALES TAX LAWS AND REQUIREMENTS IN THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA. IT IS ONLY INTENDED TO PROVIDE THE READER WITH A BRIEF OVERVIEW OF THOSE SALES TAX LAWS AND REQUIREMENTS CURRENTLY IN EFFECT IN THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA THAT RELATE TO THE READER’S TRANSACTIONS WITH GOLD FINANCIAL GROUP. IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO RESEARCH THE SALES TAX LAWS AND REQUIREMENTS IN THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA, WE SUGGEST YOU VISIT THE CALIFORNIA TAX SERVICE CENTER LOCATED AT HTTPS://WWW.TAXES.CA.GOV/.