The sixth design in The Royal Mint's Shengxiào Collection features a mother pig and her piglets in honor of The Year of the Pig. The pig is admired for its kind, gentle and selfless nature.
- Limited mintage worldwide of 138,888 coins.
- Contains 1 oz of .999 fine Silver.
- Coins will be in protective capsules.
- Obverse features the guilloche background design.
- Obverse: Displays the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, along with the face value of 2 pounds.
- Reverse: Features a mother pig and her piglets, against a beautiful night sky backdrop.
- Official legal tender backed by British government.
The 2019 Lunar Year of the Pig coin is the twelfth and final sign the Chinese zodiac, before it starts anew with the Year of the Rat in 2020. The Royal Mint’s Shengxiào Collection combines centuries of Chinese tradition with British minting craftsmanship, celebrating the 12 animals of the Chinese Zodiac, or Shengxiào, and their distinctive characteristics and qualities.Lunar Year of the Pig
The Pig is the last sign in the Chinese zodiac in the 12-year Chinese zodiac animal cycle. The Pig is known for being kind and gentle, and calm when facing adversity. The year 2019 is the year of the Earth Pig, known for being communicative and popular. The zodiac sign combined with one of the five elements only comes once every 60-year cycle.
The coin's designer, Harry Brockway, ensured the characteristics of people born in the Year of the Pig translated into the coin's design, evoking the generosity and compassion of the pig. The country home, with smoke rising from the cozy fireplace inside symbolizes the traits of calmness, in conjunction with the night sky above the home. The mother pig with her children symbolizes family, loyalty and generosity.